In May, 2013, the 7×24 Exchange Lone Star Chapter set up two Endowments at the Engineering Schools of Texas A&M University and University of Texas at Austin. Both Engineering Schools are tied for 8th place in the national ranking of Engineering schools. The objective of these scholarships funded by the endowment is to encourage young engineers to enter into 7×24 data center world of operations, facilities, design, and construction,
The intent of each endowment is to fund four engineering scholarships in each school in both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. The Endowments at each school were initiated with a $50,000 payment to each school, which has until now funded one scholarship annually at each school. At the end of 2015, the Board of Governors of the Lone Star Chapter has now fully funded the Endowment of $100,000 at each school.
The two $100,000 Endowments now fund four scholarships at both Engineering Schools in perpetuity.
The scholarship awards are made each year in August or September.
In addition to each engineering school’s scholarship criteria, additional chapter recommended criteria are as follows:
- Recipients must be U.S. and Texas Residents
- Recipients must be either a Junior or Senior
- Recipients must have a minimum initial GPA of 3.2, and a minimum of 3.0 for renewal.
- Recipients must be enrolled for five or more credit hours for the Fall semester that the scholarship is awarded.
- Preference will be given to students with a concentration in one or more of the following areas: Heat transfer; Fluid Mechanics: Electrical Power Distribution and Analysis; Electromagnetic Fields: Principles of Heating, Ventilating & Air-conditioning; Principles of Building Energy Analysis; Three Phase Systems; Electrical System Analysis.
- Preference will be given to students with experience working in Data Center Operations or a related field.
- Preference will be given to students with a record of serving or having served in the United States Armed Forces.
- The Scholarship should not be combined with other scholarships awarded by the College of Engineering.
- Recipients will be invited and encouraged to attend one of the two annual 7×24 Exchange Lone Star Chapter events.